Have been thinking recently about what I really want to spend my time doing. So decided to try writing it down. This is what I have come up with so far:
4 things I want to be remembered for. To help people :
1) discover their strengths and have confidence to create fulfilling work
2) communicate their story with honesty, passion and humour
3) use technology to create meaningful relationships.
4) understand you can do great work, have a fulfilling career and get to see your children grow up. Not “having it all” – more “enjoying it all”.
5) (Teach people you don’t always have to follow the rules!)
With this is mind – I’ve decided to focus my blog on PORTFOLIO work. What is that? Well lots of definitions but essentially its “several jobs with different employers”. So for example, I work ( on and off) for about 10 different companies offering basically hosting conferences, presentation coaching, media training, presenting corporate videos and generally ” getting you heard”. Each project is different and has a unique challenge. But portfolio working can also occur within organisations – where a person is doing several jobs for different managers.
Two friends I spoke to today told me that they really didn’t like their jobs. In fact one – quit last week and hasn’t got a job to go to because she hated it so much.
So are YOU a portfolio worker? Do you want to be? I will try and post a few thoughts that may help you decide… thanks Hugh for the cartoon:)