Reading a post this morning from Gretchen Rubin’s blog on happiness restimulated for me discussions that Katie and I have had about energy levels. In the book we talk about having to possess high energy levels to be a successful portfolio worker and that we were both blessed with such high levels that we can, just very very occasionally, be a bit of a pain to those around us. But this presupposes that there are genetic differences here which of course there are. But there is still much you can do to increase your energy levels when you are feeling flat. I wouldn’t go along with all of Gretchen’s tips that work for her but it did get me thinking as to what works for me:
- Go outside and get some light – even better if its sunny. Light deprivation is a problem especially in the winter. This also gets you some fresh air.
- Exercise – even if its just running up and down the stairs.
- Call a high energy friend that you can get wildly enthusiastic about something with
- Have some chocolate! Direct physiological effect and don’t you just love those endorphins.
- Coffee. It not only prevents Alzheimers (but only if it has caffeine – lots of it) but it gives you a burst.
- Move – do something – anything. Gretchen makes the point that how you act will change your feelings. I usually walk about while on the phone as this makes me feel and sound more energetic.
- Have a shower.
- My wife swears by Bach’s Flower Remedies and uses White Chestnut and Hornbeam.
- Click on Spotify and find a tune that always gets you going.
- Look at your to do list and find an item you can do really quickly. Always makes you feel good.
It would be great to hear of techniques that you use to get yourself up and going. But also remember, and we discuss this in the book, that there are natural rhythms and as a species we do seem to have an energy lapse at about 3 – 4 pm, which is why in some cultures the siesta is still used. Bizarre as it might sound, having a short nap or rest might well boost you for many hours – and we quote the research that proves that.
Have an energetic day today.